If you’re a beginner, the Treasure Hunt is one of the best things you can do to get some easy cash. Upon fully completing this mission, including the challenge at the end, you will receive $GTA 250,000!
Because of the requirement to drive around to remote locations, you can expect this mission to take you around 45 minutes to complete.
Unlocking the Treasure Hunt
The Treasure Hunt will unlock automatically within a few minutes of starting the game. Watch for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
The email will have a picture of a location in it. Unfortunately, we can’t tell you where that location is because it is randomly generated, but don’t worry; You don’t actually need to know where it is. After reading the email, just open the map and you’ll see a huge yellow circle on it. That’s where you need to go.
Find the First Clue
Once you arrive, you’ll get a notification that the clue is somewhere nearby. If you’re not already on foot, you probably should disembark your vehicle at this point. You should also make sure you have your game sound on, and perhaps turn down any background noise you have going.
When you get near the clue, you’ll hear a chime sound. The chime sound will get louder and louder as you get closer and closer. The clue itself will be a piece of paper adhered to a rock or wall or something.
Find the Next Three Clues
Once you read the paper, you’ll need to find three more clues. They are again found on the map, this time as smaller yellow icons. You can also find them by scrolling down the locations list on the right side of the map scene until you find Treasure Hunt.
You’ll need to visit each of the three clue locations, and for finding each one you’ll be rewarded with $GTA 5,000. Like the first clue, as you get closer you’ll hear the chime sound. These ones are the same for everyone so here they are:
Clue 1: A cave in the Tongva Hills to the Northwest of Los Santos.
Clue 2: A bloody shovel next to a chair in a broken down frame of a shack on the Sandy Shores, the Southeast bank of the lake.
Clue 3: An empty gun box at the base of a tree, on Joad Lane in Grapeseed, North of the East side of the lake.
Find the Treasure
Once you’ve explored all three clues, it’s time to find the actual treasure. Open your map again and you’ll find it marked with a golden chest icon. Head that way and you’ll find the actual chest.
When you open the chest you’ll obtain the Double-Action Revolver.
Complete the Challenge
Many players think this is the end of the quest line. After all, you have the treasure! But you may have noticed that you did not receive the cash this article promised at the beginning.
In order to receive the cash you’ll need to complete the challenge of completing 50 head shots with the Double-Action Revolver.
These head shots can be on anyone--players, NPCs, mission enemies, police, etc. If you want an easy way to complete this challenge without having to worry about police, player retribution, or any return fire, follow the below instructions:
- From the Pause Menu, go to Online, then select Jobs.
- Select Play Job, then Rockstar Created, then scroll down and select Missions.
- There are a few different Missions that don’t have cops, but the lowest rank one is Deal Breaker, which requires rank 6. Select that.
- Choose the Double-Action Revolver as your weapon, of course.
- Once you’ve started the Mission, head to the pier at Vespucci beach. That’s the waterfront area on the West side of Los Santos. There’s an amusement at the end of the pier, you can’t miss it. This is the most highly populated location in Los Santos.
- Park right on the land side of the pier and begin your task. There are no police in this mission so you won’t have to worry about anything except your aim.
- Shoot someone nearby where you park. When everyone begins to run, feel free to try to make as many additional headshots as you can on the moving targets.
- Once you run out of targets on that end, head to the other end of the pier where there will be more people who don't yet know how dangerous you are.
- Keep running back and forth on the pier, making headshots whenever possible.
- Every 10 headshots you'll get a notification of how many you've made until you complete the challenge.
Bonus: You will probably increase your shooting skill some in the process! For more info on maxing out your shooting skill, along with all your other skills, check out our article, How to Max Out Your Skills in GTA Online.
Once you’ve shot 50 people in the head, you’ll see that you’ve received the $GTA 250,000. If your account is linked to the Rockstar Social Club you’ll also receive an exclusive weapon unlock in Rockstar Games' Red Dead Redemption II. At this point you can either complete the mission or just exit out of it.
Congratulations! You’ve completed the Treasure Hunt. Wasn’t that fun?!